Sunday, August 06, 2006

Catching Up

It's Sunday afternoon, and I'm finally catching up with all of this. My visit to Seido's place was delightful. She didn't make me go out and do field work, so I did a little kitchen cleanup and helped chop vegetables for lunch as my minimal contribution to the cause. We did a lot of talking. They took me out to dinner. It was a nice, relaxing time.

Yesterday I had a friend from the Cohort (master's program) come by. She and her husband were in town to do the annual Obon Festival (at the Oregon Buddhist Temple), and figured there would only be one Buddhist temple in Portland, so of course they would see me there. They found out that there are a lot of Buddhist temples, and she wasn't sure where I'd be. But someone evidently told her how to get here, and she found me okay. They had a bit of a challenge in that they had brought their dog, and discovered that they couldn't leave the dog in the car with the air conditioning on, nor could they leave the dog in the car with the air conditioning off. They had been able to participate in the festival for a little while before discovering this (by almost getting a ticket). I gave them each a tour of our buildings in turn while the other stayed with the dog.

It was nice to see them, and I hope they were able to do at least some of what they came to Portland for. It was fun to show them the various instruments I get to play.

This morning I participated in Sunday services as usual, though Blair was out so I chanted the service while Lisa did mokugyo. I was worried because of my experience at the Chant for Peace that my voice would give out, but at 10am it seems to be in much better shape than at midnight -- go figure!

Tomorrow I'll head out to my mother's place on Aunt Phyllis's farm. I gather this will be a very different sort of visit -- they are getting ready to sell the farm, so there will be a lot of work to do in terms of sorting and packing, cleaning, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home